Friday, December 19, 2008

I have to applaud M.O.P. for doing to the WWE what has been done to Hip-Hop for years. The Mash Out Posse are suing WWE for sampling their track "Ante Up"; you can hear the sample at the beginning of John Cena's "My Time Is Now", which is his ring theme, and has been used on DVDs and other forms of merch. Compare the two:

M.O.P. "Ante Up"

John Cena "My Time Is Now"

You hear that noise at about 0:11 in the Cena vid? Compare it to the sound around 0:10 in the "Ante Up" vid. Yup. And I'm laughing, b/c music has stuck it to Hip-Hop for years with lil' snippets and samples, and now M.O.P., if they work it right, will merk WWE for a mint. A. Mint. I'll keep you posted!

EDIT M.O.P. spoke to All Hip-Hop about this, briefly.

EDIT It looks like this lawsuit has been voluntarily dismissed. I guess the Mash Out Posse has a heart during the holiday season.

8 comments

honestly thats when you know you're broke when you sue for something so stupid

thats like jim jones sueing every high school basketball team that comes out to ballin

i think ur wrong red highschool basketball teams dont have a multimillion dollar franchise, non the less video games,dolls and all that ect bullshit...fuck wwe...BALLIN!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what Jake One thinks of this lawsuit? He did produce that John Cena track...

i imagine jake one is saying "this is gonna fuck up my residuals"

U know how long Cena has been using that beat / sample? Like, FOREVER. All this time I thought they cleared it w/ M.O.P. already.

U know how long Cena has been using this intro? At least a few years now. It's been so long, I had always assumed they had cleared it w/ M.O.P. Welp...better late than never.

WWE DID attempt to clear the sample. Apparently, the lawsuit is saying that the person who signed off on it on MOP's behalf wasn't authorized to give permission, but she signed off on it anyway. It's not like WWE just stole it without trying to get it approved first.

from what i understand and read, MOP said no, but WWE found someone to say yes, and im assuming they may or may not have had authorization to permit the sample use.

Designed By Blogger Templates | Templatelib & Distributed By Blogspot Templates